Top-Rated Epoxy Flooring Company New York
Boring and dull concrete floors need to be given life. We believe that floors should WOW you. They also need to be durable and safe. Epoxy flooring is the new BLACK.
What is Epoxy Flooring?
An epoxy flooring mortar consists of several layers of resins, hardeners, sand and a pigment. It is applied with a depth of at least two millimeters. When these chemical components are mixed together, they react with each other to form a hard and protective plastic-like material.
Types of Epoxy Floors
- Self-Leveling. Easy to clean
- Self-Dispersing. Durable and strong. Ideal for areas with high traffic.
- Self-Dispersing with Quartz. Durable and strong with an anti-slip feature.
- Mortar Epoxy Flooring. The strongest of all epoxy floors and is ideal for highly industrial areas.
- Epoxy Flaked. Regular epoxy floors added with chips and flakes added into the epoxy mixture for decoration.
- Graveled Epoxy Floors. The most decorative and complex type of epoxy floors. Comes with an anti-slip feature.
Where Is Epoxy Flooring Used?
Epoxy floors today are used in a variety of settings other than heavy industrial areas. Here are some of the areas epoxy flooring can be used successfully.
- Industrial areas
- Shopping malls
- Retails areas
- Home Garages
Epoxy flooring works best in these areas because it is resistant to water and chemicals. It is easy to clean and maintain. It is also non-flammable and can withstand tough conditions.
Why Should You Choose Epoxy Flooring?
An epoxy coat can be applied to almost all types of concrete slabs. The techniques are to properly prepare these slabs for an epoxy coating. This flooring option is not only popular for industrial and commercial environments floor areas but for home garages and basements, too.
Epoxy flooring today is not limited to industrial and commercial use. Since epoxy has good adhesive properties it can perform well to create not only strong and durable floors but attractive floors, too. It has become a popular and modern floor finish.
Southside Concrete Polishing can help you achieve the full benefits of epoxy flooring.
- Strong and durable making it ideal for high foot traffic areas and where heavy loads are often moved around.
- Hygienic as it is resistant to bacteria and most surface contaminants
- Decorative and customizable making it visible to use with varied patterns and designs.
- Attractive high gloss finish is beautiful and increases the brightness of the area by as much as 300%
- Available in various shades and colors.
- Slip-resistant surface makes it a safe flooring option.
- Water and chemical resistant so spills and leaks will not damage the epoxy floor
- Resistant to impact, scratches, and abrasions
- Fire resistant
- It won’t peel or chip because it adheres well to the concrete floor.
- It will not flex or shrink despite changes in humidity and temperature
- Easy to clean and low in maintenance because of its seamless surface. It only needs basic cleaning to keep it looking fabulous. Spills can easily be wiped off
- It is highly affordable because the durability and strength will allow it to last for several years without the need for any repairs or replacement.
The only downside of epoxy flooring is when installed it needs about 12 hours of curing times, even longer in some cases. Notwithstanding, the benefits derived from having an epoxy flooring will be worth the wait.
How is Epoxy Flooring Done?
Applying epoxy is similar to painting a floor. The ideal temperature to install epoxy is between 650 to 850F. If epoxy is installed with temperatures lower than 500 to 600 F, it will take such a long time for the epoxy to cure because of its thickness. If a second epoxy coat is needed, it should be applied 48 hours after the first. This is to ensure that the second coat will adhere to the fully fuse with the first coat.
The secret to a successful epoxy flooring installation is in the proper preparation of the concrete floor.
1. Surface Preparation
Southside Concrete Polishing uses a diamond grinding or sanding to prepare the concrete surface for epoxy installation. Oil spills are cleaned with chemicals. Surface preparation is essential to ensure epoxy adheres well to the concrete floor.
2. Floor Cleaning
The floor surface must be free of all dust and residues (paint, adhesive, plaster). When the concrete surface is not thoroughly cleaned well, epoxy will not bond well with the concrete surface. Dirt and ay dust particles will get trapped within the epoxy coat creating ugly spots on the epoxy floor.
3. Priming the Surface
Apply a primer to all substrates that are going to be coated with epoxy. The number of coats of the primer depends on the porosity and condition of the substrate. If the concrete floor was cleaned well, less primer is needed.
Priming the concrete floor will allow the epoxy to better adhere. It will also give the floor a much longer lifespan. Priming will also seal the concrete floor eliminating bubbles to appear.
4. Filling and Grouting
Cracks or joints on the substrate (concrete) should be opened and filled with epoxy grout.
5. The first coat
Mix the resin and the hardener. Mixing should be done well to prevent a tacky floor. Apply the epoxy coat with a good quality roller.
6. The second coat
This is applied after 24 hours of the first coat when the epoxy floor has completely cured. If cracks or holes still appear they are re-covered with epoxy grout.
Allow the epoxy floor to cure for another 24 to 48 hours before allowing foot traffic and resumption of normal activities in the area.
Adding a variety of colors to polished concrete through the application of concrete dyes and stains allows polished concrete floors to have a decorative look instead of the usual dull gray concrete floor.
Why Hire the Professionals?
An epoxy coat is easy and quick to install. You can do it yourself if you can handle the equipment required and have an understanding of how to paint floors.
The thing is when the concrete floor is not prepared properly and the epoxy coat not applied correctly, the seamless high gloss finish appeal of an epoxy floor will not be achieved.
Southside Concrete Polishing will make sure your epoxy flooring installation will be successful. We have the most modern equipment and our crew is equipped with the latest techniques.
- We will grind or shot blast your concrete floor for proper preparation before applying the epoxy coat.
- We make sure the concrete surface is clean, dust-free and dry before applying the epoxy coat.
- We make sure to apply the epoxy coat under the right humidity and temperature.
- We only use the right and top quality primer.
- We only use top quality epoxy resins and hardeners and make sure they are mixed well and in the right proportions.
An epoxy floor will give new life to your otherwise dull and boring concrete floor. Call us for a free quote and together we will make your vision come to life!